Being self aware is the most skill you learn for your own self-development. In the quest to be a better human, I list few points where you can exercise self-control :
- Not judging people who were rude to you without being compassionate enough to know what they are going through.
- Resist criticizing others just to satisfy one’s inner urge to criticize without understanding how the recipient would feel about it. Always praise in public, praise in private. Criticism just doesn’t work.
- Understanding that people are different and they won’t necessarily think like you as they come from different educational background, cultures, ideologies and will have different perspectives on life.
- Resist the temptation to blame others and create conflict in a workplace by promoting collaboration and a safe and healthy work environment.
- You are what you eat. Resisting the urge to eat junk food. Eating healthy that will make you think positive.
- By not treating people lower in status e.g. waiters, sub-ordinates etc. like a door mat just because they have less power and they would do whatever you ask them to do as they fear for their job.
- Avoid painting every individual belonging to a particular religion or race with the same brush just because there are few miscreants belonging to their group.and finally,
- Resist the temptation to punish people.Believe in the philosophy ‘When there is a problem, fix the problem – not the person‘.